Monday, March 29, 2010

The Vegetable Garden - Part 2

This past Saturday I took advantage of a break in the rain to finish the vegetable garden border. I had already sized everything up and just needed to cut and fasten all the cedar pieces together. Due to the grade of the garden, the front and right side of the border would be 2 layers and the rest single layer.



I assembled the border upside down making it easier to square and ensure it was flat. This also allowed me to nail the bottom pieces into the tops from the underside, and have no nail heads showing from the top.



Once finished I flipped the whole 24'x4' assembly over a contemplated how to move it over to the garden area.



I considered dragging it by myself, but instead called upon the help of Lucas, my 3 year old son, and his battery powered 4x4 Jeep (the one that the border was intended to guard against). I first placed one end of the assembly on the front of his jeep.



With my Mother-in-Law in the middle for extra support, I lifted the far end and Lucas drove towards the garden.



Next we turned the jeep and used it to rotated the assembly 90 degrees into place. It was absolutely hilarious to see Lucas' serious expression as he performed this critical maneuver.



Once in place Lucas backed his jeep into the shed and walk off to the house, satisfied with his accomplishments after a long day at the construction site. All kidding aside, I could never have moved it as easily without him.

The final step was to prop the border up, and dig a channel out so I could easily level it once in place.



With the channels dug, I laid the assembly back down and packed soil under each section to make everything level, using a spirit level of course.



The next step will be to add some compost and top soil as needed and start planting.

No comments:

Post a Comment